Citizens for Free and Responsible Media, Pakistan (CFRM-Pakistan) would like to share a basic checklist of what you, as media consumers, believe as the do’s and dont’s that news anchors and reporters are supposed to be familiar with, and that rest of the media consumers should also be aware of.
- Present news that is grounded in facts.
- Make clear distinctions in their reporting and/or coverage between news and opinion.
- Present opinion in their reporting and/or coverage that is grounded in various viewpoints based on at least two ‘experts.’
- Stay neutral while moderating or presenting, even on issues they ardently believe in or oppose.
- Are dispassionate in their reporting and use of language irrespective of the issue they are covering.
- Always show respect to their subjects and guests.
- Stay clear of stereotyping and judgement calls in their reporting and coverage.
- Are mindful of the impact their coverage will have on their subjects and/or guests.
- Take precautions to ensure that their report will not lead to any harm to their subjects and/or those associated with their subjects.
- Present opinion that is passed off as fact or news.
- Do not make clear distinctions in their reporting and/or coverage between news and opinion.
- Present opinion in their reporting and/or coverage that is grounded in singular viewpoints, and/or based on one ‘expert.’
- Take sides with guests or present their own viewpoint while they are moderating or presenting.
- Allow their emotions to show in their use of language and physical expressions.
- Disrespect their subjects/guests or certain groups in their reporting/coverage.
- Use language and expressions that stereotypes certain groups.
- Preach their own version of morality or ‘right and wrong’ in their presentation or reporting.
- Are irresponsible in their coverage and are not mindful of the impact coverage will have their subjects and guests.
- Do not take necessary precautions to ensure that their report/coverage will not lead to harm to their subjects and/or those associated with their subjects.
CFRM-Pakistan are activists, academics, lawyers, journalists and citizens from all walks of life—essentially media consumers—serving as an independent platform to voice public concerns about media freedom and responsibility in Pakistan.
In case of any query, please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com