The government has assured that Aadhar will help individual to access services like banking, mobile phone connections and other services.
“All assurances gave an impression that by using Aadhar card one will not need to carry multiple documents for availing service benefits and limitations of other cards issued earlier will be done away with. But it is not true,” says Avinash Prabhune, a consumer rights activist.
Prabhune says Aadhar cards do not mention date of birth although documentary evidence was submitted at the time of enrolment. The cards indicate only year of birth, therefore this card is not helping as age proof in banks and other places.
“Even MSRTC is accepting Aadhar as a document to provide concession in fare. We calculate the age based on the year mentioned on the card,” an ST official said.
However, even if railways and MSRTC accept Aadhar, banks have been demanding additional documents. “As per the RBI guidelines we have been introducing the central banking system ( CBS) which needs other documents too. A new account cannot be opened only on the basis of Aadhar. We demand pan card as age proof,” said branch manager of a nationalized bank, seeking anonymity.
Till now more than Rs 2,000 crores have been spent on the UID scheme and 23 crore residents have been enrolled so far but none of these cards bear the date of birth.
“Recording birth date on Aadhar card could sort out problems. I strongly support the scheme as after its integration with other systems, it may be possible that UID data will be shared but till that time multiple papers will be required for vital transactions,” says Vinayak Prabhune, a retired government official.
Prabhune wrote to UIDAI officials twice to mention the date of birth on Aadhar cards but they did not reply. He says as a large population does not known their date of birth, only year is recorded but it should be mentioned on the cards of those who know their date of birth.
- In Delhi you can get married or buy a house ONLY if you have UID/ aadhar- #wtfnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Supreme Court notice to govt on PIL over Aadhar #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Faking news: Babus, netas discuss how to loot cash transfers #UID #Aadhar (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Maharashtra- Aadhaar Card SCAM #UID #Biometrics (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – #Aadhar a magic number? #UID #Privacy (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Cash transfers: UIDAI’s newest battle is with finance ministry #uid #biometrics #aadhar (kractivist.wordpress.com)