A local court today rejected the bail petition of social activist Dayamani Barla, who had surrendered before the court on October 16 in connection with a 2006 case.
Barla had on October 16 gave herself up before the Ranchi court and was sent to judicial custody in connection with an agitation she had led in 2006.
Two days later, she secured bail from the court, but was re-arrested on a second warrant following an FIR charging her with obstruction of government work at Nagri when she joined the villagers in their protest in July against land acquisition by the government for setting up educational hub at Nagri, about 20 kms from here.
Along with five others, Barla is also facing contempt notice served by the Jharkhand High Court on November 8 for their role in the burning effigy of the high court building on October 4.
Barla came to lime light when she led agitations in Gumla and Khunti districts against land acquisition by the ArcelorMittal for its steel project, which the company signed with the Jharkhand government in 2005.
- #India- State ploy to silence a dissenting voice? #fabricated #arrests (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Activists step up demand for #Dayamani Barla’s release (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India# Jharkhand # Tribalrights – Dayamani Barla:Gagged Again! (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #DayaniBarla’s arrest: Civil society condemns Jharkhand Govt.’s vindictive move (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Poem- Now its dangerous to be #Dayamani Barla #Jharkhand #Tribal #Indigenous (kractivist.wordpress.com)