The Victim of Sexual Torture
Soni Sori, an adivasi school teacher and warden from Chhattisgarh, is currently facing trial in Chhattisgarh. Accused as a
Maoist supporter, despite evidence of her having being framed as one in several cases, she has been in custody in Chhattisgarh for about three and a half months.
The Perptrator of Sexual Torture
S P Ankit Garg, a 2003 batch IPS Officer, who holds degree in ( ME Env Bot B.E.D, was the investigating officer in Dantewada in 2007 , was promoted to the Rank of Superintendent of Police in 2008, as Bijapur S.P and he was S P intellegence Dantewada in 201oand took over as S.P Dantewada on 30th March 2011, in his tenurehe had initaited many anti naxal operations . On Dec 28 , 2011 a day after cadres of the CPI-Maoist blasted Geedam Police Station in Dantewada District, SP of the District, Ankit Garg, has been removed and attached with the PHQ.
GALLANTARY AWARD FOR THE PERPETRATOR OF SEXUAL TORTURE
What has been terribly shocking and perturbing is the fact that while in custody she has been subjected to gross sexual torture, by S. P Ankit garg evidence of which has come to light following a Supreme Court directive for medical examination in a government hospital in Kolkata. Compounding her crisis is the fact that despite this damning evidence, Soni Sori has remained in the custody of the Chhattisgarh police for all this while.
It is shocking to note that in spite of wide publicity and protests over SP Ankit Garg’s inhuman conduct by a large number of women’s and civil liberties groups, nationally and internationally, the government has deemed it fit to confer him with a gallantry award. It is even more baffling to note that this has occurred at a time when the Honourable Supreme Court itself has expressed anguish at the happenings and is still looking into these violations. Compounding the very serious charges of a heinous crime of sexual violence against Ms. Soni Sori that SP Ankit Garg faces, is that fact that this crime happened when she had been entrusted into his custody as a senior police officer. After the report from the Kolkata NRS Medical College and Hospital, this is no longer a case of mere allegations against the police, but there is also solid evidence by a government medical team to support her charges. However, none of this appears to have placed even a shadow of doubt on the gallantry of this Officer as far as the government is concerned. By giving an award in the face of these complaints which have not even received a cursory investigation, both the Central and State governments are condoning this sexual violence which is being perpetrated in the name of anti-Naxal operations.
26th Januray, 63rd independe day is the darkest day of the Indian democracy . While Ms. Soni Sori, the victim of this heinous torture languishes in the Raipur Central Jail, with a deteriorating health condition, and waits for her case to be listed in the Supreme Court, women’s teams who have been taking up the case of her torture have been refused permission to meet her. She is still under the custody of the same state police has that inflicted this torture on her.
- Eminent citizens and groups write an open letter to the Honourable Chief Justice of India (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE-Gallantry Award for Sexual Violence ? (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- S.P Ankit Garg gets gallantry awards- BLACK REPUBLIC DAY (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Save Soni Sori and Punish Chattisgarh police for her torture (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Women’s Groups Stopped From Meeting Soni Sori in Raipur (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Republic Day gallantry award to alleged torturer of Soni Sori! (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Treat Soni Sori in Kolkata, court tells Chhattisgarh (thehindu.com)
- Women’s rights activists denied access to Soni Sori (thehindu.com)
- Supreme Court orders Sori’s medical test (thehindu.com)
- Cops Brutally suppress peaceful protest at Chhattisgarh Bhavan, New Delhi (icrindia.wordpress.com)
- Rights groups protest gallantry award for Chhattisgarh police official (thehindu.com)
- Court anguished at Soni Sori’s medical report (thehindu.com)