TNN | Feb 5, 2013, 01.14 AM IST
Putting in place a nationwide three-digit number (such as 100) to respond to all emergency situations on the lines of 911 or 990Emergency Management Systems in vogue in several developed countries and launching a sustained media campaign to stop negative/indecent portrayal of women in movies, TV shows and advertisements are also part of the comprehensive plan comprising 27 different measures to prevent crime against women.
“Government enlisted these suggestions after several round of discussion over the issue under the Union cabinet secretary Ajit K Seth in the past one month,” said a home ministry official.
The measures outlined changes in the police system, a review of theMotor Vehicles Act, measures to make responses to crimes against women in efficient and sensitive manner and greater accountability of enforcement agencies.
The department of women and child development will implement a scheme to provide compensation to victims of sexual assault and also a scheme for setting up Crisis Response Centres in select hospitals to provide psychological and other assistance to sexual assault victims. The proposed scheme will be implemented in a pilot phase in 100 districts from 2013-14.
The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) will compile a database of persons convicted of criminal offences. Details of persons convicted of crimes against women will be displayed on their website. The existing Motor Vehicle Regulations will be reviewed, prescribing for increasing the quantum of fines imposed on violation of permit conditions and to bar compounding of offences beyond a certain number.
It will be made mandatory for a reporting officer to comment upon on the gender sensitivity of the police personnel in the Annual Performance Appraisal Report. Besides, plans are afoot to further develop and promote community policing.
Teachers will be given training in value education. Sustained awareness campaigns on gender equality will be undertaken in all schools and colleges and gender modules to be integrated in the curriculum at every level.
Girls students will also be trained in self defence/martial arts.
- #India- A moment of triumph for women #justiceverma #Vaw #womenrights (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Justice Verma report adds to sex workers’ fears #Vaw #Womenrights (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India -Make gender sensitivity part of police appraisal #Vaw #womenrights (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- The Media must be part of the solution, not the porblme- -NWMI #Vaw #Womenrights (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- #Maharashtra – 46,000 crimes on women in three years #Vaw #Shame (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Legal rights every woman must know #Vaw #justice #womenrights #mustshare (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India Fix the Rape Problem #Vaw #Justice #womenrights (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Changes in Criminal Law vs Justice Verma Recommendations #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #delhigangrape Repeated- After Nirbhaya, this time it is Roshni. Reporting from Ground Zero #Vaw #WTFNEWS (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – 1 minor is raped every 3 days in #Gujarat #Vaw #WTFnews #Narendramodi (kractivist.wordpress.com)