ICHRL’s advocate Rebecca Gonsalves told the court that there were 250 custodial deaths between 2001 and 2011. “Maharashtra leads with the highest number. Three days ago, there was a custodial death in Mumbai,” she said, referring to the case of a suspected thief who died in the lock-up ofChembur police station after allegedly banging his head against the wall.
The judges asked additional public prosecutor Aruna Pai what precautions the government had taken and whether it had issued any directives to avoid such deaths. “What change had been brought in the administration to prevent such incidents from happening again and again,” asked Justice Khanwilkar.
The judges have directed the secretary (special) of the home department to file a personal affidavit disclosing the “precautionary measures and preventive mechanisms” introduced by the government since the court took cognizance of the issue in 2008.
The judges also directed that in case no credible steps have been taken by the government, it must define an action plan and place it before the court at the next hearing on April 4.
- #India- Maharashtra records most custodial deaths in 10 years #torture (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Bombay High Court-‘File reply on safety concerns about UID’ #Aadhaar (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India -Raising social issues no crime: Bombay High Court #protest #justice (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Mumbai Train Blast -Wife of blast accused demands relief #mentaltroture #harassment (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India -Lack of safeguards in ID cards questioned #UID #Aadhaar (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Bombay HC- A warning and guide to the police in all states. (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)