ANUMEHA YADAV, The hIndu, Dec 22,2012
She has been in jail for over two months for leading protests related to land acquisition
The Jharkhand High Court on Friday granted bail to activist Dayamani Barla, who has been in jail for over two months for leading protests related to land acquisition and functioning of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
“This is of significance to our movement to save our land and water resources. This is a victory for the people of Jharkhand. Our struggle will go on,” said the award-winning activist and journalist at the court.
The court sent a property warrant against Ms. Barla on September 23 in a 2006 case against her for leading a protest march demanding that the people of the Angada block in Ranchi district be given MGNREGS job cards or given unemployment allowance. At this time, she led a successful protest against the setting up of a steel plant by ArcelorMittal at Gumla and Khunti, citing the Chotanagpur Tenancy (CNT) Act that prohibits sale of tribal land to non-tribals.
She surrendered and got bail in this case, but two days later, on October 19, she was arrested in a case of leading a protest of tribal farmers against the government move to acquire 227 acres of agricultural land in Nagri village, 15 km from Ranchi, for campuses of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Indian Institute of Information Technology and the National University of Study & Research in Law (NUSRL).
An FIR was registered against her on August 15 in the course of protests in Nagri for “leading a group of over 100-150 farmers, who entered the plot where the NUSRL and the IIM had constructed boundary walls and cultivated the land.”
On November 5, while in jail, Ms. Barla became an accused in another case. This was for participating in a demonstration organised by Jharkhand Dishom Party (JDM) leader Salkhan Murmu on October 4, in which JDM workers were accused of burning an effigy of the High Court.
Ms. Barla got bail in this case, but both the CJM court and the district court rejected her bail application in the Nagri case.
The agitation in Nagri continued while Ms. Barla was in jail. On December 15, over 100 Oraon adivasi farmers organised a protest in front of Raj Bhavan here for Ms. Barla’s release and against violation of the CNT Act.
- #India- #Jharkhand Dayamani Barla faces government’s wrath over agitation against land grab (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- State ploy to silence a dissenting voice? #fabricated #arrests (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Dayamani Barla’s bail petition rejected #Jharkhand (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Activists step up demand for #Dayamani Barla’s release (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #DayaniBarla’s arrest: Civil society condemns Jharkhand Govt.’s vindictive move (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Jharkhand government digging up old cases against activists to silence them (kractivist.wordpress.com)