Sanjay Pandey Lucknow, June 4, 2012, DHNS
Blossoming love affair between a dalit youth and a Muslim girl has triggered a communal tension in a village in Uttar Pradesh‘s Muzaffarnagar district, with the dalits being asked to leave the village.
On Sunday, the house of the dalit family, whose boy had eloped with the girl a few days back, was torched and they were asked to leave the village failing which they will have to face serious consequences. As the villagers were trying to douse the flames, a letter asking the dalits to leave the village was recovered from the spot triggering further tension.
According to reports, the boy Prateek had eloped with his lover, a Muslim girl of the same village, last month after a brief affair.
The members of the girl’s family had lodged a report with the police. The couple who got married, were recovered from Loni area in Ghaziabad district a few days back.
When the duo were produced before a court on Saturday last, the girl, insisted on living with her lover. The court sent Prateek to jail and the girl was sent to “Nari Niketan” (women’s shelter).
Members of the dalit community have sought security from the district administration and security personnel in strength have been deployed in the village to prevent any further flare up. A large number of dalit males have fled from the village fearing for their lives.
A case has been registered in this connection. “We have deployed police personnel in strength at the village. The guilty will be sternly punished,” said Arun Sirohi, circle officer.
The powerful “khaps” (caste panchayats) have declared that will not allow love marriages. Many lovers, in the past, have been subjected to torture and have also been killed by their families.
- Dalits denied water in K’pada village (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Karnataka Khap panchayat ostracises 16-year-old pregnant Dalit girl (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Why have we banished our own brethren? (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Where converts do not find a place at Dalit graveyard (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- A Dalit betrayed: ‘Rahul bhaiyya has forgotten me (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Bathani Tola and the Cartoon Controversy (kractivist.wordpress.com)