“Now, with the enrolment drive picking up and resulting into a huge backlog due to the limited number of resources, the state has decided not to allow UID camps on private premises,” said a civic official. The state government had allowed setting up UID enrolment centres on private premises earlier so as to cover as much of the population as possible. At that time, the BMC had allowed camps in housing societies and private offices so that people residing or working there could be enrolled.
A UID card that is linked to a bank account would soon be required to avail of several government schemes, including getting a cooking cylinder subsidy, disbursement of provident fund for government employees and receiving free educational items for civic schools.
Currently, there are 145 BMC centres where enrolment is being conducted in the city. All are on government or semi-government premises. Over the next one month, the BMC is going to increase the number of centres to 470, as new vendors have come forward and the BMC has identified spots where new centres can be set up.
A centre in Kherwadi is being touted as the largest centre in the country, with 25 machines working simultaneously and enrolling 2,000 people a day.
The UID project is the brainchild of technocrat Nandan Nilekani. The card is expected to ensure that citizens get access to all schemes of government and local bodies. The government claims that the card will be important in the years to come as, for any dealing with the government, the card would be required to validate identity.
- #India- Do you know why #Aadhaar – #UID is NOT compulsory #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India Aadhaar card: Many worried about #privacy #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Everybody wants an Aadhaar card. But why? #UID #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Identity crisis on cards as crunch hits #Aadhaar #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Why is #Aadhaar being shoved down our throats? #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Aadhaar applications abandoned on roadside #UID #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Plea against Aadhaar, Delhi HC asks govt to respond #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)