Addressing the gathering of people from various sections of the society at a workshop- The Unique Identity Number (UID), National Population Register (NPR), and Governance – organized by the ‘Centre for Internet and Society’ and the ‘Say No to UID Campaign’ Ramanathan said that the enforcement of UID scheme is unconstitutional and a mere a experiment on the population.
The scheme is full of ambiguity, confusions and suspicions; while UIDAI says it as voluntary, other government agencies and enterprises have made them mandatory. Neither the government nor the UIDAI officials have the satisfactory answers for the concerns of citizens, she said.
Saying that the ‘Data’ is one of the important properties today, she elaborated that how the individual’s privacy and confidential data was breached after sharing with many companies and agencies, despite the assurances from the authorities.
Emphasizing the resistance against enforcement of UID scheme, another speaker Col. Mathew Thomas of Citizen Action Forum Bangalore, said “If we don’t resist this scheme now, we are putting pushing poor people of the country into more vulnerable situation. We need to fight it by protests and legal means.”
- #India- Bomb explosion at Posco site in Odisha kills two (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Press Release- UID, NPR, and Governance #Aadhaar (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- How does govt justify ‘Aadhaar’ when its foundation has crashed? #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Aadhaar allocation is Parliament’s contempt #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Press Release- Questionable and illegal UIDAI completes four years #UID #Aadhaar #mustshare (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Open letter- refusal of pension if not enrolled in #Aadhar #UID #humanrights #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)