SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT, The Hindu
Centre turns down protesters’ plea for White Paper
The People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) has warned that its anti-nuke protestors would lay siege to the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project site if the Centre commissions the first two reactors in “haste and secrecy”.
A statement from PMANE said the official machinery, which had imposed artificial power cuts in the area with the ulterior motive of commissioning KKNPP early, had also filed hundreds of cases against people who were resorting to non-violent agitation against the upcoming nuclear complex.
PMANE’s warning has come in the backdrop of a senior official attached to the Union Government informing that the KKNPP would attain criticality “within a few days”.
Thousands of protestors including women and children will lay siege to the nuclear complex in a non-violent fashion if the Centre commissions the first reactor in haste and secrecy,” the statement said.
The people’s movement has been unrelenting despite a good number of experts from former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to Central Expert Committee chairman A.E. Muthunayagam certifying the KKNPP reactors as the safest in the world with futuristic safety features.
Plea turned down
Meanwhile, the Centre has also turned down the protestors’ plea for a White Paper by the Centre on the KKNPP and its reactors.
- It comes in the backdrop of official informing KKNPP will attain criticality “within a few days”
- People’s movement unrelenting despite a good number of experts’ assurances
- Press Release-KKNPP Leaks and Repairs: More Questions and No Answers (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India-“Give up KKNPP, go for solar and wind energy”- Adm.Ramdas (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Tell #India the Truth on the KKNPP (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Racked by protests, Kudankulam commissioning put-off to new year (kractivist.wordpress.com)