STAFF REPORTER, The Hindu
Chief Minister yet to sign order on Soorinje’s release
A resolution to drop the criminal charges against Soorinje of Kasturi Newz24 was passed by the Cabinet during its last meeting on January 31. But the resolution has not yet been signed by Mr. Shettar as a result of which Soorinje continues to be in jail.
While Mr. Shettar once again told journalists that he would sign the Cabinet resolution and facilitate Soorinje’s release, he did not commit to a deadline.
Meanwhile, a senior Minister told reporters after Monday’s Cabinet meeting that there is “pressure” from the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh in the case.
“There is a demand from them [RSS] that the State should also withdraw cases against the other accused in the case,” the Minister said on the condition of anonymity.
Soorinje has been in jail since November 7, 2012 on the charge of colluding with the Hindu Jagaran Vedike group that attacked boys and girls celebrating a birthday at a homestay in Mangalore on July 28, 2012.
Journalists, who are fighting for Soorinje’s release, have said that Soorinje was a victim of political machinations. It is the official position of the Karnataka Union of Working Journalists as well as the Editors’ Guild of India that Soorinje should have been made a witness in the case as it was footage shot by his cameraman that helped the police identify and arrest the attackers.
- Journalists announce hunger strike seeking Naveen Soorinje’s release (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- IMMEDIATE RELEASE-Statement of Support for Release Naveen Soorinje, – NWMI, Mumbai (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Karnataka Home Minister assures withdrawal of cases against journalist Naveen Soorinje (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Press Release- #India- Legal challenge threatens the release of journalist , Naveen Soorinje (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Civil Society begins fast demanding release of TV journalist (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Indian journalists fight to free jailed reporter who exposed attack on women (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Is this journalist behind bars because he spoke too often, too loud against communal forces? (kractivist.wordpress.com)