Mirror NowPrabhu Tamilan
Another case of medical negligence being reported from Tamil Nadu has left people shocked. It was alleged that HIV+ blood was transfused in a two-year-old kid at a government hospital in Coimbatore.
The sad state of affairs regarding the medical apathy in government hospitals has often been making headlines. | Photo Credit: Thinkstock
Chennai: Another case of medical negligence being reported from Tamil Nadu has left people shocked. It was alleged that HIV+ blood was transfused in a two-year-old kid at a government hospital in Coimbatore.
The child’s father has subsequently filed a complaint regarding this disastrous medical apathy and urged the police to take necessary action against the hospital authorities. The couple of Viswanathan (aged 28) and Chithra (aged 25) had become parents to twins (one boy and one girl) on March 2017 at Trichy Government Hospital.
At the time of delivery, the male baby was healthy but girl child was underweight and had to be admitted to the intensive care unit for 32 days. Later, the baby gained weight and was discharged from the hospital and taken home by her parents.
Later, Viswanathan got employed in a power looms factory in Thirupur and shifted there along with his family. On July 11, 2018, the girl had fever and was admitted in a hospital in Thirupur. Upon a thorough medical examination, doctors found out that the baby had a heart disease.
Hence, they requested the parents to take the child immediately to Coimbatore Government Hospital for further treatment. Following the advice, the girl’s parents got her admitted at the Coimbatore Government Hospital where they were told that the child had a hole in her heart and as a mandatory treatment, needed blood transfusion.
On the next day, they discharged the baby from the hospital after concluding her immediate treatment. However, the child developed small tumours on her body and when the parents admitted the kid again to the Coimbatore Government Hospital, they were told that she was HIV+.
The parents gets shocked and reported that the mistake happened during the blood transfusion on the previous day. Immediately, Viswanathan filed a complaint against the hospital authorities and is demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) enquiry about such shocking medical negligence happening in Tamil Nadu government hospitals.
The child is getting treatment at the ARD centre in Coimbatore.
Dr Ashokan, Dean, Coimbatore Government hospital, in his statement said, “She was treated with blood. Her Haemoglobin was low and she was treated with blood components. 50ml was transfused and the component was checked and found negative for HIV, Malaria, Syphilis, Hep C and B. So this is not true that the transfusion caused HIV. Actually, we are sure that the blood transfusion didn’t cause the infection. Maybe, the child was underweight and went through multiple hospitalisations in Trichy (Government hospital) for more than 6 weeks.”
He also said, “There were a lot of procedures done in so many hospitals so we don’t know where the baby acquired the infection.”
The sad state of affairs regarding the medical apathy in government hospitals has often been making headlines and the authorities need to wake up to the stark reality of lives being put at risk.